Cars "Bedford" belong to the most famous English trucks, although neither in appearance nor in originality of design they were never distinguished from all other cars. In practice, they were universal and unpretentious "workhorses", which could be found anywhere in the British Isles and around the world. The first years of Bedford's existence are connected with the well-known machine-building and iron foundry company Boxhall, founded in the middle of the last century in the Vauxhall quarter in London.
In 1905, she moved to the city of Luton, County Bedfordshire, where she began to produce cars. In a difficult for the company in the 20s, the American concern General Motors, which had long intended to create its own bridgehead in the UK to invade the European market, became interested in Vauxhall and in 1925 made it its British subsidiary. The plans for securing the European market also covered the truck sector. Activities in this direction began with the import of Chevrolet trucks to the UK, and in the late 1920s, assembly was started at the Hendon factory.
In 1931, the American leadership decided to deploy in the country its own production of light trucks adapted to the requirements of the British market. Their brand was "Bedford" - by the name of the neighboring town and the whole county where the plant was located. The new production became the cargo department of Vauxhall.
Reliable and high-speed machines "Bedford" were a great success and soon became popular on all types of transportation. This is how the motto of "Bedford" appeared: "You see them everywhere", which was quite true. The first appeared 2-ton machines "WHG" and "WLG" with a wheelbase of 3330 and 3990 mm. respectively, costing extremely cheap - only 198 pounds sterling; followed by the release of light vans "VY" and "VX", a 1.5-tonne series "WS" and 3-ton trucks "WT".